The Vulture has Landed!

Monday 11th September 2018

I am feeling rather disgruntled with technology as had almost completed my blog yesterday, didn't save it, then we had a power cut!!


Needless to say, I'm having to start again.... lots of patience required!

Anyway, I am now comfortably ensconced in our new flat which is slightly larger than the previous one.  We moved only one building down to a more modern three bedroom flat.  It's rather swish only the same problem ensues..no water!  This time, not just no water in the evenings but none at all!  I'm reassured this is just a teething problem and the mains will be switched on again but it's now been nine days so not sure what's going on!  It's quite frustrating but I'm trying to remain chilled out about it as it certainly helps to be laid back here!

It's amazing how you can get by with buckets of cold water (taken from work) and a working cooker and I now know exactly how many litres of water I need to have a 'shower' -useful to know, eh?!

We moved into Vulture Court on International Vulture Day, 1st September - I'm not making this up!



I haven't seen any vultures, needless to say living in the city, but was inspired to join Bird Watch Zambia so am really looking forward to seeing birds out in the country.

https://www.birdwatchzambia.org/

I'm going on my first bird walk later in the month.  I've been furiously swatting up on Zambian birds as they're very different here to the UK.  Although there are few, if any parks, in Lusaka, there are some very big gardens in the affluent areas, so there are still many birds around.  I am loving listening to the dawn chorus around 6 am in the morning and open my window especially at this time. I also really enjoy hearing the crickets at night which I find soothing somehow.  We have to keep windows closed at night to prevent the mosquitoes from entering as I don't have a mosquito net yet - next on the list of essentials, after the water that is!

My head is spinning  bit from all my new experiences actually but in a good way.  Yesterday, I went on an ethical tour of Lusaka.  This took us to the usual sights; museum, government buildings, show ground etc but more interestingly, I'd also booked to visit a 'Compound'.  There are many of these in Lusaka and they're basically the poorest areas of the city where there are large populations living very close together.
https://twitter.com/afczambia

They are certainly vibrant areas and full of life but many houses lack the basic necessities such as water and sanitation.  There is also a lot of unemployment but Compounds are where many people in the city live.  I'd been driven through a Compound on my way to visit a hospital and was really struck by how resilient people are and wanted to learn more about how people in the Compounds live.

I met some very friendly people in the Compound including one elderly gentleman, proud to tell me he is 74 who enthusiastically showed me his personal well!  I also met a very inspiring man, called Mishek, who is from the Compound but became educated to become an IT technician but sadly has been unable to find work.  Instead, he has devoted his life to working with some of the children living in the Compound who are unable to go to school as they have no money at all.  He spends most of his time helping them learn through play and arts and crafts (as he himself is an artist), but is also trying to set up a scheme to have volunteer teachers come to the Compound to teach them.  He was very interested to hear that I work with children so I aim to meet him again and see if I can offer any time to support him.

He relies on local donations which are minimal.  I asked him why he didn't ask the government for help and he wisely said he didn't want them to take over and make it their party political agenda.  He is also reluctant to approach the church who would similarly make it their (religious) issue.  I think he sees it as a basic human right that all children receive an education - you can't argue with that.



The other striking thing about the Compound was that there was a Red Cross site with lots of buildings and the remnants of a swing park which is now empty and derelict.


Basically, the Project came to an end and the site is no longer being used - seems like such a waste.  Projects offer good but sadly only short term solutions it seems.

Finally, I just want to say something about the people here - I've met some absolutely lovely, friendly people who really open their doors and hearts to you.  The first Zambian woman I met was on the plane from Ethiopia.  She gave me her phone number so I called her a couple of weeks after arriving in Lusaka.  We went for lunch on Saturday with her daughter, aged 24 and spent a lovely afternoon together chatting about all things.  The day culminated in me going to a Reggae Festival with her daughter which was lovely and very spontaneous! I've also been be-friended some of the ex-pat community who are very sociable and have also met many Indians who love going out so all in all I'm having a very rich, multi-cultural experience which I'm loving so far.  Although there are definitely frustrations in Zambia due to services not running as smoothly as Europeans expect, from my short time here, I can easily see how visitors to the country fall in love with Africa as the people definitely make the country exciting, lively and very memorable.

In my next blog, I'll talk a bit more about my work and my Highland Games experience - yes, you heard it here - there is a Caledonian Society so I can't resist seeing that!  From Vultures to Highland Games....you just never know what's going to happen next in Lusaka....



Tizaonana!

Jenny
x



Comments

  1. Fantastic read! Keep experiencing and writing please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, 'Unknown'! It means a lot to know that what I write is being read and enjoyed by others. I am still hungry for more new experiences so will continue to blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Road to Western Province

Hugs, Smiles and Trampolining